For those who are not familiar with Nandos, it is one of our favourite food chains. It is a grilled chicken serving restaurant which lets you indulge in a variety of chicken dishes with a feeling that you are eating healthy as majority of the dishes are grilled. The restaurants have a good ambience, well sized portions and most importantly reasonably priced.
Coming to the Nando’s chain and brand, it is a South African restaurant chain that specialises in Portuguese-African food, such as peri-peri style chicken dishes. Founded in Johannesburg in 1987, Nando’s operates over 1000 outlets in 35 countries. Their logo is the famous Portuguese symbol, the Rooster of Barcelos.
A couple of weeks back after a quick registration on their site, Nando’s delivered a little fun kit with the marinade sauce, tissues, recipe card and a take way bag. On the recipe card was the step by step guide to one of my favourite dishes “PERi-PERi Wing Platter” which is described as “24 flame-grilled PERi-PERi wings” on the Nandos UK menu.
What is Peri-Peri ?
PERi-PERi, also known as the African Bird’s Eye Chilli, is the key to the flame-grilled PERi-PERi chicken.
PERi-PERi chilli seeds are rich in Vitamins A, B, and C.
They also have capsaicin, which enhances mood: your pupils dilate, your metabolic rate increases, and there’s a rush of endorphins when you consume it! PERi-PERi is also a natural preservative.
PERi-PERi when mixed with salt, garlic, lemon, onion, oil, and vinegar to goes on to make the signature sauce which is readily available at several retail stores.
- 12 Chicken wings
- Nando’s Medium Peri-Peri sauce (125 ml bottle)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp salt
Marination Time – 1 hour or overnight
What to do:
- Put the wings in a bowl and rub all over with the Peri-Peri Sauce, salt and baking powder
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and put in the firge for at least 1 hour to marinate, or preferably overnight.
- Pre – heat the oven to 180 degrees (not fan) or gas mark 4
- Transfer the chicken wings to a roasting tray (image of a roasting tray below this recipe)
- Cook for about 30 mins until the wings are just cooked.
- Heat up a grill pan on the stove (or fire up your BBQ!)
- When it’s smoking hot, put 6 wings in the grill pan
- Leave the wings without moving them to get Nando’s unique grill marks.
- Turn over once the skin has grill marks and repeat on the other side.
- Generously brush over your chose Nando’s sauce on both sides
- Turn the oven down to 100 degrees (under gas mark 1) and keep the grilled wings warm while you repeat with the remaining wings.
That is all folks, there you have it the Nando’s Peri-Peri Chicken Wings Recipe.